S05|20 - How to Talk to Your Kids About Sex with Amy LangNov 28, 2022
WARNING: this episode may not be suitable for young listeners. We talk openly about sexual content.
Talking to your kids about the birds & bees can be really uncomfortable. And most people dread the idea of having “THE TALK”… but it doesn’t have to be this way!
My guest, Amy Lang had been a sex educator for over 16 years when she freaked out about talking to her young son about her favorite topic.
Surprised by her discomfort with just the idea of talking with her young son about his body, she knew she needed help. Amy did a bunch of research to learn how to talk with kids about bodies and sexuality and realized she could help other parents with this important part of parenting.
Amy combined her expertise in adult education and her love of sexual health and started Birds & Bees & Kids in 2006. Her mission is to help parents feel comfortable and confident when they have these important conversations.
Through her books, classes, online solutions center, and podcast Amy has helped 1000’s of parents around the world become their kids’ go-to birds and bees source.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- What age to start talking to your little kids about sex
- Why it’s so important to regularly talk to your kids throughout childhood about sex
- How to get over the initial awkwardness and what types of things should be included in conversations around sexuality
- How to teach your family values while teaching sexuality
- Where to start in sex conversations, if these talks haven’t been part of your family culture so far (and why it’s an important responsibility of parenthood)
Links and Resources from this episode (the ones mentioned in this episode are in bold)
Website: Birds & Bees & Kids
Resources for parents and caregivers:
Sex Talks with Tweens: What to Say & How to Say It
Birds & Bees & YOUR Kids: A Guide to Sharing Your Beliefs about Sexuality, Love & Relationships
Birds & Bees Talk:
- It’s NOT the Stork (4 - 6)
- It’s SO Amazing (4 - 11)
- It’s Perfectly Normal (11+ - and you if you are feeling rusty!)
- The Every Body Book: LGBTQ+ Inclusive Guide for Kids about Sex, Gender, Bodies, and Families
- Will Puberty Last My Whole Life? - for everyone
- Celebrate Your Body (puberty only) - for girls
- Guy Stuff (puberty only) - for boys
- Good Pictures Bad Pictures, Jr. (5 - 8)
- Good Pictures Bad (9+)
- I Can Play it Safe (4 - 7)
- C is for Consent (4 - 8)
- Consent for Kids (8+)
Monitoring and Filtering
Coaching has changed my own life, and the lives of my clients. More connection, more healing, more harmony and peace in our most important relationships. It increases confidence in any parenting challenges and helps you be the guide to teach your children the family values that are important to you- in clear ways. If you feel called to integrate this work in a deeper way and become a parenting expert, that’s what I’m here for.